Saturday, August 4, 2012

GT Update

The title of this post sounds a bit like something you might type at a command prompt if you are like me an mess about on computers.  Not so of course as that is work and this is far from it :-).

I dragged myself out of my sick bed today to feed my Golden Tail Geckos.  They are in a fairly noisy, high traffic area, which is why I think that I have yet to see them eat terribly much.  By that I mean actually witness it happening.  There has been plenty of evidence of successful digestion to be cleaned up regularly, but, there has certainly not been anything like I witnessed today.

After having chatted with their previous owner in the past few days, I was a little concerned that I had not witnessed the enthusiasm for food that she reported.  She told me that they almost jumped out of their enclosure at food when it was presented.  This has not been my experience, and largely I have put this down to their location.

Today I made sure it was quiet during the feeding and for Lizzy (the female) at least, this made all the difference.  Before I left her to it, I witnessed her take 5 crickets!  I couldn't believe it.  It was satisfying enough to see her down a single insect.  But, to see her almost approach me at the start and then time after time hunt and capture her food was very gratifying.

The series of images in this post depict Lizzy on the prowl.  First locating her prey, then stalking and finally having captured her meal.  This was actually the fourth cricket that she ate.  It was so pleasing to see her enthusiastic for the hunt even after having what I would have considered a full belly.  I should note that she is looking gravid again, so this could be playing a significant part in her appetite.  That should become clear in the next week or two.

Regardless of whether or not there will be two more little gems laid in the coming weeks, it was simply fantastic to witness the fervent activity from Lizzy today.  The grace and dare I say athleticism of efforts are certainly representative of some of the qualities that drew me to want to keep geckos.  Quite pleased with some of the photos I took as well.  Three of which are here of course.  First glimpse of the underside of Lizzy's belly too.  Although worth noting that the potentially expectant mother has hidden her tummy from view to make that assessment somewhat more challenging!  Oh well, something else to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews